Interested in trying out the latest release of VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) 5.0? Don't have some beefy hardware to meet all the requirements, not to worry! Did you know you can actually deploy a VCF Management Domain using just a single Intel NUC or simliar small form factor system? This is exactly how I kicked the tires with the latest VCF 5.0 release 😎
Disclaimer: This is not officially supported by VMware, please use at your own risk.
- VMware Cloud Builder 5.0 OVA (Build 21822418)
- VCF 5.0 Licenses
- Intel NUC configured with
- 64GB of memory or more
- Dual onboard networking ("Tall" NUC like Intel NUC 11 Pro, which is what I used) OR add additional NICs with these Thunderbolt 3 Networking options (no USB NIC)
- 2 x SSD that are empty for use for vSAN bootstrap (500GB+ for capacity)
- ESXi 8.0 Update 1a installed on the Intel NUC using USB device
- Ability to deploy and run the VMware Cloud Builder (CB) Appliance in a separate environment (ESXi/Fusion/Workstation)
Note: While my experiment used an Intel NUC, any system that meets the basic requirements above should also work.