Automating vCenter Single Sign-On (SSO) Users creation and management was not possible in prior releases of vSphere and this operation had to be performed manually using the vSphere Web Client.
With vSphere 6.0, you can now easily create and manage SSO Users using a new command-line utility that is included within the Platform Services Controller (PSC) called dir-cli. Below are the paths to the dir-cli utility on both Windows VC and VCSA.
Windows VC 6.0:
- C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd\dir-cli.exe
Below are a few examples on using the dir-cli command and you can find more information in the vSphere 6.0 Documentation here. If you wish to automate the dir-cli operations without needing to specify an SSO Administrator password, just specify the –password option. You can also change the SSO Administrator username by specifying the –login option.
Creating a new SSO user:
/usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/dir-cli user create –account william –first-name william –last-name lam –user-password 'VMware1!'
/usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/dir-cli group modify –name Administrators –add william
/usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/dir-cli group list –name Administrators
/usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/dir-cli password reset –account william –new 'VMware1!!'
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 1: What install & deployment parameters did I use?
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 2: What is my SSO Domain Name & Site Name?
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 3: Finding all deployed Platform Services Controller
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 4: Finding all deployed vCenter Servers
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 5: New method of patching the VCSA
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 6: Customizing VCSA’s DCUI
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 7: Connecting to SSO/PSC using JExplorer
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 8: Useful ldapsearch queries for vmdird
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 9: Creating & managing SSO users using dir-cli
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 10: Automating SSO Admin configurations
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 11: Automate SSO Admin password change
- vCenter Server 6.0 Tidbits Part 12: New methods of downloading Support Bundles for VCSA / PSC