I recently wrote about our Application Transformer for VMware Tanzu solution and how it can really benefit IT Admins, beyond just the App Modernization use case which it was primarily designed for. App Transformer is provided as a Virtual Appliance (OVA) and the deployment using the vSphere UI is very straight forward. In this blog post, we will focus on automating the deployment of the App Transformer OVA.
To demonstrate the automation, I have created two example scripts, one that uses PowerCLI and the other using OVFTool. Both scripts contain the exact same variable names that will need to be updated by customers based on their environment. You can find the description for each variable blow covering both the appliance and application settings.
App Transformer Appliance Settings
- AT_IP - IP Addres
- AT_NETMASK - Netmask
- AT_GATEWAY - Gateway
- AT_DNS - DNS Server
- AT_DNS_DOMAIN - DNS Search Domain
- AT_DNS_SEARCH - DNS Search Path
- AT_NTP - NTP Server
- AT_ROOT_PASSWORD - Password for root (requires a minimum of 12 characters)
App Transformer Application Settings:
- AT_USERNAME - Username to login to App Transformer UI
- AT_PASSWORD - Password to login to App Transformer UI (requires a minimum of 12 characters)
- AT_ENCRYPTION_PASSWORD - Password used to encrypt the database
- AT_INSTALL_EMBEDDED_HARBOR - Install Embedded Harbor registry, useful for proof of concept/testing purposes